[Distutils] Is this a reasonable place to discuss zc.buildout? Or do I need to make a separate list?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Wed Sep 13 11:49:11 CEST 2006

zc.buildout, http://www.python.org/pypi/zc.buildout, is a system for:

- Assembling applications consisting of many programs, Python and
otherwise, possibly distributed over muiltiple machines, and for

- Managing eggs not installed into system Python installations.

Buildout is complementary to easy_install.  While easy_install is
great for simply installing eggs into a system Python in a highly
automated and simple way, buildout is great when:

- You need more control over the eggs used,

- Different applications need different egg versions,

- You are developing an application and don't want to (or can't)
modify a Python installation,

- You want isolation between different applications sharing a single
Python installation.

Like easy_install, zc.buildout builds on setuptools.

Buildout is still fairly early in it's development and is still
evolving.  Lots of people are trying it out and providing feedback,
which is great.  Right now, people send me questions individually.
This means that others can't benefit from their questions or their
answers.  IOW, I need a mailing list.  I hate to create yet another
mailing list and wonder if this list would be a reasonable place for
people to discuss zc.buildout.

Would anyone object if I directed zc.buildout discussions here?

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org