[Distutils] HTTP authentication support

Jan-Wijbrand Kolman janwijbrand at gmail.com
Thu Apr 5 09:38:19 CEST 2007

> Is the download link a *relative* URL, or absolute?  If it's absolute, the
> credentials won't be there.

They were absolute URLs. I just tried with relative URLs and they *do*
indeed inherit the credentials supplied for the package index URL.

So, thanks for the hint!

A remark, from, say, a usability standpoint:

The fact that you need to have relative URLs in order to inherit the
credentials was not clear to me from your pervious post to this
thread. There you explain as long as host and scheme are identical,
the credentials should work.

And well, for relative URLs this is automatically true of course :-)

End users like me, would actually expect the described behaviour as
this is how e.g. web browsers handle these types of authentication.

So, this needs either a very clear explanation somewhere, or maybe a
little bit of work on easy_install, in order to "cache" the
credentials on a host/scheme basis.

Anyway, thanks again!

kind regards,
jw