[Distutils] My Cheeseshop mirror

Jon Rosebaugh chairos at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 08:10:21 CEST 2007

As Matt Good mentioned in the "Time for a static cheeseshop mirror for
easy_install?", I started working on a cheeseshop mirror during one of
the downtimes last week. It's now up and running in a limited
capacity:

http://cheeseboard.inklesspen.com/

The immediate goal of the "cheeseboard" is to enable people to install
setuptools, Pylons, Mako, and other packages in the Pylons family when
the cheeseshop is down, without having to jump through more than one
or two hoops. It's a dynamic webapp written in Pylons, but if the load
gets to be too big, it's easy to cache almost all of it. The files
themselves are stored on Amazon S3; I'll have to see if that's
cost-effective for this.

Currently it is a manually-updated partial mirror. You have to add a
'package', which consists of the name and optionally SVN info and
homepage, and then feed it the cheeseshop url for a specific release,
such as <http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Pylons/0.9.4.1>. It then
copies all eggs, tarballs and zip files to S3 and enters the relevant
info in the database.

I've written it in a manner that should be usable by other people, but
the SVN repository is not currently world-readable, and I haven't
gotten around to uploading it to the cheeseshop yet. But if there's
interest, I could do these things.

In the future, I expect to add functionality for adding a package and
all its dependencies automatically. I don't expect to be adding
functionality for mirroring the complete cheeseshop, though, partially
due to not having a good idea for how to do that automatically.

Jon