[Distutils] Windows web based installation of multiple packages

Lloyd Kvam python at venix.com
Wed Aug 8 16:32:54 CEST 2007

On Mon, 2007-08-06 at 09:08 -0500, Mark Hammond wrote:
> > It is quite easy to use the bdist_wininst command to create a
> > Windows installer executable.  A browser click on a link to
> > the .EXE file allows for software installation, but
> > easy_install is not run and the packages listed in
> > setup.install_requires are not installed.  Is there a way to
> > force the windows installer to run easy_install?
> >
> > If I were to create an egg, is there a content-type heading
> > that would cause easy_install to process the egg?
> >         (much like application/vnd.ms-excel) I could not find
> > an easy_install entry in the registry in my test WinXP
> > computer after installing setuptools.
> >
> > I thought one of these approaches would be fairly easy, but
> > googling and experimenting have gotten me nowhere.
> bdist_wininst is designed to install a python package, not to install a
> python "application" which has external dependencies.  You may like to
> consider py2exe, which is designed to create a stand-alone executable from
> your python app - but even then, eggs etc are not processed - you are
> expected to have all relevant packages installed on your dev box, and they
> are packaged inside the app.

Thanks for the reply.  I have deadlines to meet, so I guess I'll be
taking the py2exe approach for now.

However, I'm still interested in setting up the associations so that an
HTTP content-type header for .egg files could be associated with
easy_install.  I assume if it were trivial it would have been done by

has some thoughts from Phillip Eby about automatic execution of

I will tackle getting my Linux computers to handle an egg/easy_install
content-type and then figure out the patches for setuptools so that this
can be automatic.  Hopefully the Windows situation will be reasonably
parallel to Linux.  Suggestions and advice are welcome.

Lloyd Kvam
Venix Corp