[Distutils] [Enthought-dev] Namespace packages and egg-info confusion when using bdist_rpm

Dave Peterson dpeterson at enthought.com
Thu Aug 9 23:23:00 CEST 2007

Ryan May wrote:

>> This solution worked for me initially, but now I'm getting warnings when
>> I run any python script I get:
>>
>> warning: Not importing directory
>> '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/enthought/traits': missing __init__.py
>> warning: Not importing directory
>> '/usr/lib64/python2.5/site-packages/enthought/traits/ui': missing
>> __init__.py
>>

>> This is when I added the above lines to the .pth files for both traits
>> and traits.ui.  What am I doing wrong?
>>

> Turns out that another package (kiva) decided it would be a good idea to
> put a __init__.py in the enthought directory, which made python angry.
>
> Sorry for the noise, distutils.
>
> Enthought guys, anybody wanna take a crack at why kiva (and only kiva)
> insisted on adding a __init__.py to enthought?

Well, I just checked the source and 'enthought' is declared as a
namespace package in setup.py, and the enthought/__init__.py contains
nothing but:

try:
    __import__('pkg_resources').declare_namespace(__name__)
except:
    pass

which is what our other projects have.   So, since I'm not a bdist_rpm
expert, I'm at a loss of even where to begin on this one.

-- Dave