[Distutils] trouble making egg...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Mon Aug 13 11:46:18 CEST 2007

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>> Given the component.xml in there, I'm pretty sure I need to add a
>> zip_safe=True, but what else do I need to do to get setup.py to
>> correctly build an egg and a source distro?
>
> Short answer: move the package and any data files that should be
> included to a mailinglogger/ subdirectory.

What ends up in the root folder then? just the setup.py?
(I want the docs and examples packages in the source distro, I don't
know if they make any sense in the egg distro...)

> Alternative answer: use package_dir={'mailinglogger':'.'} and manually
> list the packages (since find_packages() doesn't support package_dir).

I actually tried this before I mailed here, it didn't work but I can't
remember the exact reason. I think it may have been that it included the
files as modules, but they weren't in a 'mailinglogger' package anymore...

> Downside to this approach is that "setup.py test" and "setup.py develop"
> will not work correctly -- for you or anyone else who wants to work on
> your package in source form.

I'm not too fussed about either, tbh ;-)

cheers,

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk