[Distutils] trouble making egg...

Chris Withers chris at simplistix.co.uk
Tue Aug 14 10:46:17 CEST 2007

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>> Short answer: move the package and any data files that should be
>>> included to a mailinglogger/ subdirectory.
>>
>> What ends up in the root folder then? just the setup.py?
>
> and anything else you want in the source distro, like the docs and
> examples.  I also usually throw my tests there, and don't distribute
> them with the egg, but preferences vary.

Okay, I think I have this now:

https://secure.simplistix.co.uk/svn/Simplistix/mailinglogger/tags/3.2.1/

However, when I do:

python2.4 setup.py sdist bdist_egg upload

...none of the package metadata gets uploaded:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=mailinglogger&version=3.2.1

This used to work:

http://pypi.python.org/pypi?:action=display&name=mailinglogger&version=3.2.0

...and I can't see any changes in my setup.py that might be relevent.

Any ideas? Is there a problem with PyPi at the moment?

>>> Alternative answer: use package_dir={'mailinglogger':'.'} and
>>> manually list the packages (since find_packages() doesn't support
>>> package_dir).
>>
>> I actually tried this before I mailed here, it didn't work but I can't
>> remember the exact reason. I think it may have been that it included
>> the files as modules, but they weren't in a 'mailinglogger' package
>> anymore...
>
> I suspect that you changed package_dir but not packages.  You have to
> explicitly list the packages for that to work.

I tried prettymuch every combination, all with varying degrees of failure...

Chris

            - http://www.simplistix.co.uk