[Distutils] I finally got the kiva rpm to build using bdist_rpm

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Aug 21 00:47:18 CEST 2007

At 05:15 PM 8/20/2007 -0400, Stanley A. Klein wrote:
>The overall kiva package is built by a combination of numpy distutils and
>setuptools.  There are multiple setup.py files involved because of the
>needs of numpy distutils for compiling the extensions.  Somehow the
>setup() of the main setup.py is used by both numpy distutils and
>setuptools.  The relevant import statements are
>
>import setuptools
>from numpy.distutils.core import setup
>
>The tests directory under kiva is referenced in the setup.py
>configuration() there as config.add_data_dir('tests').  There is a similar
>statement in the setup.py file under kiva/agg.

Okay, that's why they're not working -- and it doesn't matter whether
it's plain distutils, numpy distutils, or setuptools; their compiled
forms won't be included in the installation manifest if you list them
as data files, because none of those packages will *compile* the .py
files -- only the Fedora bytecode compile thing will.

The only workarounds I see are to:

1. Install them as legitimate modules, not data files, (in which case
distutils/setuptools will compile them and list them in the manifest),

OR:

2. Don't give them .py extensions -- they'll get listed, but not
compiled by anything.

These seem to be the only choices to work around the hostile bytecode
compiler script in Fedora.