[Distutils] Download-only then build/install on no-net sandbox?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Dec 3 15:25:15 CET 2007

At 04:26 PM 12/3/2007 +1300, Beau Butler wrote:
>Hi People I'm hoping someone can answer what I think is a quite simple
>question,
>
>In short:, how do I tell easy_install i just want it to download an
>egg, then compile/install it later? I know how to download/compile,
>then install later, but not the other way around?

Use the -e (--editable) option.  Specifically, use "-eb somedir
ProjectName" to get a 'somedir/projectname' directory containing the
source of the named project.  You can then tar that up.

Note that the directory name under somedir will always be *lower
case*, and it must not exist beforehand.  ("somedir" must exist, though.)