[Distutils] Difference between "url" and "download_url"?

skip at pobox.com skip at pobox.com
Sun Dec 9 07:12:38 CET 2007

I registered a new package at PyPI today, bsddb185.  Thinking to check
things out, I tried "easy_install bsddb185" and got this output:

    % easy_install bsddb185
    /Users/skip/local/lib/python2.6/site-packages/setuptools-0.6c7-py2.6.egg/setuptools/package_index.py:7: DeprecationWarning: the md5 module is deprecated; use hashlib instead
      from md5 import md5
    Searching for bsddb185
    Reading http://pypi.python.org/simple/bsddb185/
    Reading http://www.webfast.com/~skip/python/
    No local packages or download links found for bsddb185
    error: Could not find suitable distribution for Requirement.parse('bsddb185')

My setup call looks like this:

      author='Skip Montanaro',
      author_email='skip at pobox.com',
      maintainer='Skip Montanaro',
      maintainer_email='skip at pobox.com',
      classifiers=['Development Status :: 6 - Mature',
                   'Intended Audience :: Developers',
                   'License :: OSI Approved :: Python Software Foundation License',
                   'Operating System :: MacOS',
                   'Operating System :: POSIX',
                   'Operating System :: POSIX :: BSD',
                   'Programming Language :: C',
                   'Programming Language :: Python',
                   'Topic :: Database',

Why didn't easy_install try the download_url?

Skip Montanaro - skip at pobox.com - http://www.webfast.com/~skip/