[Distutils] buildouts upgrades in production

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 18:11:26 CET 2007

Hello

We are happily using zc.buildout to deploy our Python softwares (mainly
zope) in production.

The offline mode is very helpfull to create a media with a prepared buildout
to deploy the thing on a server that has no web access (this is most of the
time the case i guess)

Now I am working on the best ways to prepare upgrades for the production and
I try to find a way to avoid recreating a big tarball again just for a few
changes.

My guess is that a snapshot of the download-cache and eggs directory is
enough, so a diff can be made to "upgrade" a production server with a
tarball of the two directories and the new .cfg

But I was wondering if someone had similar experiences already, and maybe a
simple, better way ?

Thanks

Tarek

--