[Distutils] buildouts upgrades in production

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 18:46:55 CET 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:

>> -> I need to drop the tarball part in favor of zc.sourcerelease I
>> guess
>
> I doubt it.  It looks like iw.releaser and zc.sourcerelease are aimed
> at different, if related, problems.  AFAICT, iw.releaser automates
> some aspects of releasing individual Python distributions.

iw.releaser consists of 3 parts (the doc is outdated) :

- an entry point for setuptools to add a release command for eggs. This
helps developer
  release one package. but it is just a tool to help releasing.
- a project_release script, that create a svn branch for a buildout
- a project_deploy that runs bootstrap, bin/buildout then creates a tarball
  this is the part that does like zc.sourcerelease (see
https://ingeniweb.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ingeniweb/iw.releaser/trunk/iw/releaser/project.py)
afaik

Jim Fulton wrote:

> I'd like to automate this in the future, but, for now, the following
> trick works if you know that all of the distributions you need are
> already in your download cache:
>
>    buildout-source-release \
>      svn+ssh://some_repo_url  release.cfg \
>      buildout:index=/home/jim/.buildout/download-cache/dist \
>      buildout:find-links= \
>      buildout:extensions=
>
> The source-release script takes a URL, usually a subversion URL, for
> the source to be released and the name of a release configuration
> file.  You can also add additional buildout command-line options.
> Here, I've specified my download cache as an index.  Obviously, you'd
> need to use a different path. I've also set the find-links and
> extensions options to empty strings so they aren't used.  If you don't
> use the options in your configuration file, then you don't need to use
> this and the above would be simplified to:
>
>    buildout-source-release \
>      svn+ssh://some_repo_url  release.cfg \
>      buildout:index=/home/jim/.buildout/download-cache/dist
>
> With this, the source-release script doesn't have to spend time
> downloading anything. It does still need to build everything to decide
> what has to be included.

this is neat !

Tarek