[Distutils] setuptools docs mention "distutils.log" ?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Dec 20 20:53:27 CET 2007

At 12:34 PM 12/20/2007 -0700, zooko wrote:

>On Dec 20, 2007, at 12:08 PM, Tres Seaver wrote:
> >
> > Try 'import distutils.log'.
>
>Thank you.  That works.
>
>However, since the current python docs warn that distutils.log is
>deprecated [1], I'm currently using "logging" instead.  Is there any
>reason not to do that?

Yes.  First, that deprecation is unlikely to have any effect before
Python 3.0, and second, using "logging" directly will prevent the
distutils or setuptools from controlling the verbosity level of your
output.  In other words you will break the -q/-v options specified on
the command line by the user.