[Distutils] Two problems with setuptools

Dmitry Vasiliev dima at hlabs.spb.ru
Fri Dec 21 13:22:39 CET 2007

Hello,

Today I've encountered the two problems related (?) to setuptools
(version 0.6c6 on Ubuntu Linux):

1. For tests and install my package requires the same packages so I write:

    setup(
        tests_require=["Package1", "Package2"],
        install_requires=["Package1", "Package2"],
        )

It seems OK but the problem arrives if I want to test package (python
setup.py test) and then install it (python setup.py install). At the
test phase the required packages will be downloaded and placed in the
current directory. But at the install phase it seems setuptools will be
fooled by the previously downloaded packages and doesn't install them
correctly.

2. For my setup I need customize 'install_scripts' and 'install_data'
commands. I've placed my customized commands in a separate package,
create lazily populated dict-like object which import desired modules by
request and write:

    setup(
        cmdclass=aLazilyPopulatedDictLikeObject,
        setup_requires=["Package"],
        )

It works fine except the case when I want to place some options in
setup.cfg. For 'install_data' it works as expected, but for
'install_scripts' it seems the configuration parses before the required
package will be downloaded and my additional options for
'install_scripts' doesn't work.

--
Dmitry Vasiliev (dima at hlabs.spb.ru)
    http://hlabs.spb.ru