[Distutils] enhancing .pypirc file for multiple servers handling

Tarek Ziadé ziade.tarek at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 18:48:53 CET 2007

Hello,

I am implementing a PyPI-like server, to allow people using it as a
cheeseshop alternative.

The .pypirc file that is used together with the register command is working
just for one server and will not allow having several set of login/password.
This can be a problem if you work with several servers.

Furthermore, this command is using a hardcoded ‘pypi’ realm if you look at
distutils/commands/register.py:

auth.add_password('pypi', host, username, password)

I think it could be enhanced in order to hold several login/password for
each server, using the host url and the realm (the realm can be queried
automatically too). Otherwise all servers have to fake a ‘pypi’ realm on 401
errors.

I can work on a more formal document (some kind of PEP?) to explain the
changes needed in the current implementation. I am also willing to spend the
time needed to code it (I will code it anyway in a custom package but I
think this belongs to distutils because it is intended, as far as i
understand it, to work with any server)

Regards

Tarek