[Distutils] setuptools pain

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Dec 28 20:42:27 CET 2007

At 01:49 PM 12/28/2007 -0500, Barry Warsaw wrote:
>Would it be possible to just print the traceback?

You can set the DISTUTILS_DEBUG environment variable to get
tracebacks from distutils or setuptools.

>This is the MacPorts version of Python, so I guess I have to shame
>them for busting setuptools.  I ended up re-installing it manually to
>make it happy again.  Your explanation about the root problem was
>helpful in understanding that this was probably the right course of
>action. :)  Maybe I'll try to figure out why the MacPorts version broke.

They took out the 'site.py' file.  It's not optional.

>The other thing I didn't understand is why I got a different error
>message after the first "setup.py develop" and why it took deleting
>mailman.egg-info to get the original error message back.  Maybe I
>should look at the setuptools code more carefully. <wink>

I'm guessing that your setup.py includes a source-finding entry
point.  When the .egg-info already exists, the entry point would get
called during the egg_info source manifest generation, and it's
apparently hitting a missing requirement.  When the .egg-info doesn't
exist, the entry point wouldn't get called.