[Distutils] Optional C extensions in packages

Ian Bicking ianb at colorstudy.com
Thu Feb 1 22:32:18 CET 2007

Phillip J. Eby wrote:
> I'm thinking setuptools should allow you to specify that one or more C
> extensions in a project are optional.
>
> At minimum, there would then be a command-line option you could give to
> easy_install to say, "don't build any optional extensions", so if you don't
> have a compiler or need a cross-platform egg, you can skip those extensions.
>
> There would also need to be a way to specify this when using the regular
> build commands.
>
> This feature would address projects that include optional C versions of
> certain code, that can fall back to pure Python implementations.

I don't have anything I maintain that falls under this, but I've had a
hard time supporting dependencies which do have this problem (Cheetah in
particular).  It would be quite handy to have this.  And actually my
experience with Cheetah would make me reluctant to introduce a
zope.interfaces requirement for all the same reasons -- even if I'm
willing to get degraded performance, that's not an option I have (which
in many cases is quite acceptable, as it would be for the way I use
Cheetah).