[Distutils] Compiler support for VC++ 2005

Michael Foord fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk
Fri Feb 2 15:22:33 CET 2007

Paul Moore wrote:
> On 02/02/07, Michael Foord <fuzzyman at voidspace.org.uk> wrote:
>> Paul Moore wrote:
>> But, IIUC there can still be issues with using gcc for extensions -
>> because you are still using a different CRT layer and this can cause
>> problems.
>
> Not true. When using mingw/gcc, distutils ensures that msvcr71.dll is
> used - the same CRT as Python. (I know, I was involved in implementing
> the change).
>
>> *If* distutils supported VC8 it would be as effective as using gcc. (?)
>
> My understanding is that VC8 only supports using msvcr80.dll, which is
> incompatible.
Oh right - so gcc supports you building against msvcr71.dll which VC8
specifically prevents.

Fair enough, I wasn't aware of this. I *have* heard reports of problems
for certain projects caused by extensions built with gcc on windows, but
they seemed like corner cases. (One was a database project which passed
file handles to the CRT - or something like that - IIRC.)

Fuzzyman