[Distutils] parallel package

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Feb 2 18:58:01 CET 2007

At 08:18 AM 2/2/2007 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>>At 02:09 AM 2/2/2007 +0100, =?ISO-8859-2?Q?Micha=B3_Kwiatkowski?= wrote:
>>
>>>Going here works: http://python.org/pypi/parallel/0.2.1 .
>>>
>>>Doing this doesn't:
>>>
>>>$ easy_install parallel==0.2.1
>>>Searching for parallel==0.2.1
>>>Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/parallel/
>>>Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/parallel/0.2.3
>>>No local packages or download links found for parallel==0.2.1
>>>error: Could not find suitable distribution for
>>>Requirement.parse('parallel==0.2.1')
>>easy_install -f http://python.org/pypi/parallel/0.2.1 parallel==0.2.1
>
>Can this be automated?  It is annoying that PyPI hides
>old versions from setuptools.  Perhaps the index API should
>be expanded reflect that older versions can often be found
>this way?  That is, perhaps setuptools should look at
>INDEX_URL/PROJECT/VERSION when a version can't be
>found another way.

Yeah, that's a possibility.  It'd have to look for any <=, >=, or ==
specifiers in the requirement, and then scan those URLs.  I'll add it to my
list.

Of course, if you don't know a specific version, you won't be able to get
it this way, but presumably the use case here is to get a known-to-work
version, especially one specified as a dependency of another project.