[Distutils] Setuptools: omit namespace package directories?

Thomas Lotze thomas at thomas-lotze.de
Fri Feb 9 20:10:08 CET 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:

> Abstractly, namespace.recipe.foo is appealing except for the directory
> management issue. But the directory management issue is a significant one.

And it is a technical one, so I think it should be fixed technically, in
setuptools, instead of by bending our usage pattern around it.

> Maybe not for you, but it is for me. In particular, I want to be able to
> name something without worrying about whether someone else has taken the
> name.  The zc namespace protects me from that.  I only need one level of
> namespace for that.

Ah, concerning the top level, it is of course an issue of namespace
clutter for me as well. And one of modesty and responsibility: for
example, I would neither want nor dare publish a PDF library as a
top-level 'pdf' package until it has earned a reputation as _the_ standard
Python PDF library.

What I actually meant was that I'm personally not too afraid of polluting
a namespace of my own but that organizing a few but related packages seems
to be the bigger problem there.

> Why not just tl.apacherecipes, which could contain all of your apache
> recipes.

I used to shy away from that name because of two issues that are probably
very much up to personal taste and the degree one cares about this kind of
detail: running the words right together looks ugly to me, and appending
the "recipe" part to its end conflicts with the way hierarchical package
names get more specific from left to right.

But now that I see it actually spelled out, I think I might even like it
better than my other suggestion in case I really decide to collect the
recipes under a two-part name.

>> (BTW: Did I just miss something, or do recipes for these really not
>> exist yet?)
>
> I don't know, are you done yet? ;)

I wouldn't call it done. Setting up a server root (an instance in Zope
speak) with a preinstalled Apache does work but could still do with some
more configurability. I hope to add a recipe for building Apache today,
and one for adding mod_python on the weekend. If I can stick to this plan,
I'll do a first release next week.

--
Thomas