[Distutils] Setuptools: omit namespace package directories?

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Fri Feb 9 21:33:23 CET 2007

At 01:21 PM 2/9/2007 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>I really don't fathom --single-version-externally-managed. :)

It's the same as good old distutils "install" -- with a couple of additions.

The additions are that an .egg-info directory is installed alongside the
package(s), and if there are namespace packages involved, a .pth file is
also added.

>Where is this .pth file created?

In site-packages (or whatever the effective --install-lib target directory is).

>>But, if you'd like to experiment with creating a patch (or a
>>subclass of "develop") that would support creating and uninstalling
>>this .pth file, see the 'install_namespaces()' method of the
>>install_egg_info command in setuptools.  The code you'd need for
>>this would actually be *simpler* in some ways, because that code is
>>trying to work relative to whatever directory it's installed in,
>>but for what "develop" needs you could just bake the absolute paths
>>right in.
>
>What would read this .pth file?

Python, at startup, causing the empty namespace packages to be created in
sys.modules with usable __path__ settings.

>I kinda doubt I understand this enough to pursue it.  In any case, I
>won't have time until after PyCon.  I may ask you more about  this
>there (assuming that you'll be there.)

No, I'm not going this year.