[Distutils] Package name != filename, and: Python version information

Michał Kwiatkowski constant.beta at gmail.com
Sat Feb 24 02:41:10 CET 2007

On 2/23/07, Phillip J. Eby <pje at telecommunity.com> wrote:
> At 11:04 PM 2/23/2007 +0100, Samuel Abels wrote:
> >Well, the file is made available (with the whitespace character
> >included), but things like the Cheesecake service (and, according to the
> >Cheesecake service, easy_install) won't work.
>
> Have you actually tried easy_install on it?  You will need to include
> quote marks on your command line, but it should work nonetheless.  If
> that doesn't work, it's an easy_install bug; please send what you typed
> and the full easy_install output.  But if it *does* work, then it's a
> Cheesecake bug that it says it doesn't work.  :)

Let me jump in here.

$ sudo easy_install -v "Spiff WikiMarkup"
error: Not a URL, existing file, or requirement spec: 'Spiff WikiMarkup'

$ sudo easy_install -v Spiff\ WikiMarkup
error: Not a URL, existing file, or requirement spec: 'Spiff WikiMarkup'

$ sudo easy_install -v 'Spiff WikiMarkup'
error: Not a URL, existing file, or requirement spec: 'Spiff WikiMarkup'

$ sudo easy_install -v Spiff_WikiMarkup
Searching for Spiff-WikiMarkup
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Spiff_WikiMarkup/
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Spiff-WikiMarkup/
Couldn't find index page for 'Spiff_WikiMarkup' (maybe misspelled?)
Scanning index of all packages (this may take a while)
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/
Reading http://cheeseshop.python.org/pypi/Spiff%20WikiMarkup/0.1
Reading http://code.google.com/p/spiff/
No local packages or download links found for Spiff-WikiMarkup
error: Could not find suitable distribution for
Requirement.parse('Spiff-WikiMarkup')

So it seems to be easy_install bug. And again: easy_install have no
--version option. Please fix this. I'm using setuptools-0.6c5.

Cheers,
mk