[Distutils] RFC: Standard Declaration of tests in eggs

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Mon Jan 22 16:35:17 CET 2007

At 10:14 AM 1/22/2007 -0500, Jim Fulton wrote:
>I'd rather let people use whatever framework
>they want to do this and to control this from Python.

The approach I suggested certainly allows that to happen, and if the
default loader is either unittest's default loader or setuptools' scanning
loader, then it works for Zope's use cases without any change from the way
you'd like it.  I just want it to *also* be possible for people to specify
a non-default suite loader.

People who are using non-default loaders now, already have them specified
in their setup.py.  If this were part of the new spec, they would need only
to change (or duplicate) the test_loader and test_suite to be entry points
instead of setup() keywords, and they would then work with the test
declaration system.

This is a much lower barrier to entry in both work needed to switch over,
and (IMO) in psychological objection to doing so.