[Distutils] Path With Space Bug in EasyInstall

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jan 24 16:50:49 CET 2007

At 11:01 AM 1/18/2007 -0600, Jon-Eric Simmons wrote:
>I apologize if emailing you directly isn t the correct route to solve this
>issue. The website isn t clear at all about how to report bugs. (Please
>feel free to point me in the right direction.)

Please direct all email regarding setuptools to the distutils-sig list.

>In Windows XP, when I install a fresh version of Python in C:\Program
>Files\Python2X (I tried both v2.4 & v2.5) and run ez_setup 0.6c5, when I
>attempt to run easy_install I get some message like C:\Program is not a
>valid executable.

I need to know the exact message; please include the full text of what you
did, both what you typed and what the program displayed.

>However, if I perform the same steps with ez_setup 0.6c3, easy_install
>succeeds.
>
>The release notes for 0.6c4 make it sound like an issue similar to this is
>fixed, yet it appears to be broken by that version.

Yes, and when I changed it to the way that works for you, it broke for
someone else, so there is apparently more here than meets the eye.  Please
include the exact version of Windows that you're using, and whether you are
using any Windows shell replacements (e.g. 4DOS/4NT, etc.).  Thanks.