[Distutils] zc.buildout likes to download eggs...

Martin Aspeli optilude at gmx.net
Mon Jan 29 03:21:52 CET 2007

Lists In at IDC wrote:
>> Are there any facilities to share eggs among packages (I have a
>> feeling
>> Jim implied there isn't yet)?
>>
>> If not, what would such a facility look like?
>
> Yikes!
>
> I'm looking at this from a CPAN perspective and wondering whether
> it's even possible that these types of issues are not yet handled by
> all the work that's gone into eggs et al.

You're misunderstanding. This has nothing to do with regular python
packages using eggs (which they share just fine), it is about a specific
tool (zc.buildout) which manages a very tightly controlled environment
(for repeatable deployments). It may also be that zc.buildout does
support this (which is basically useful mostly for development where you
have lots of projects going on at once all using various packages), I'm
only asking.

Martin