[Distutils] Setuptools feature request: simplified version specification

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jul 6 20:26:51 CEST 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 2:17 PM, Dave Peterson wrote:
> I think this all sounds great, except that I'd made the last example
> valid by assuming it ended with a 0.  i.e.
>
>     foo 1a ==>   foo >=1adev,  <1a1dev
>
> This would be somewhat inline with the current pattern of expanding
> with
> zeros to say version 1 is equivalent to 1.0.0.0....0.

Ah, good point, however, we'd still be treating versions ending in
numbers differently from versions ending in letters, so it doesn't
really simplify anything.  After all, we wouldn't treat "1" as "1.0"
and thus ">=1.0, <1.1". IMO, this is such an edge case that I don't
really think it needs to be accommodated.  OTOH, it's such an edge
case, I don't care what we do with it. :)

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org