[Distutils] Setuptools feature request: simplified version specification

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jul 6 20:58:55 CEST 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 2:51 PM, Ian Bicking wrote:

> Phillip J. Eby wrote:
>> I'm not sure what I think of ' ' as the operator.  This change
>> would also have to be an 0.7 feature, as any package that uses it
>> will be dependent on having a setuptools version that understands
>> it, at least in order to build an egg.  (We could have egg_info
>> write the expanded forms, so that the built eggs' dependencies
>> would be comprehensible to older versions.)
>
> How about foo~=1.3, meaning foo>=1.3a,<1.4a ?  It reads well to me,
> since it's like "about equal".

I think that "foo 1.3" is more readable than "~=1.3".  Do we
absolutely need an operator?

If we absolutely need an operator, or if the majority of people here
would prefer one, then I can live with one and would find it to be a
big improvement to the current situation.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org