[Distutils] pywin32 egg?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jul 7 17:24:32 CEST 2007

On Jul 7, 2007, at 1:20 AM, Mark Hammond wrote:

> Hi Jim,
>
>> Since you happen to be paying attention to distributions atm ... :)
>>
>> I would love to see a pywin32 egg, which by definition, didn't need
>> to modify anything when it was installed. I guess there are some
>> features in pywin32 that wouldn't work with such a setup, but I'm
>> guessing that most features would.  Even if it wasn't called
>> pywin32,
>> I'd really like to see an egg that contained the parts of pywin32
>> that can be used without modifying anything on installation.
>>
>> Please. Pretty please. :)  It would make pywin32 much mroe
>> usable for
>> people using setuptools.
>
> I'm sure you know the drill - patches are always welcome :)

Unfortunately, I don't have sufficient Windows knowledge.

> I've never
> modified a setup script to support eggs, and at this stage

You generally don't need to unless you want to be able to specify
extra meta data.  A standard distutils setup file should do.

The main difference is that eggs are "zero installation", so someone
installing an egg won't get any post-installation done automatically.

> Also, if part of the functionality we had to drop was implementing COM
> objects (and we would if we couldn't install stuff into system32 or
> modify
> the HKLM part of the registry), then I'd be reluctant to call this a
> suitable distribution for anyone other than people wishing to package
> pywin32 with their own custom application, and I'd struggle to justify
> spending much time creating and supporting a distribution just for
> them.

I'm sorry to hear that.

> IOW, I'm certainly not opposed to the concept, but struggling to
> justify
> squeezing it into the time I have available for this stuff...

I might be willing to create such distributions, at least for our own
use, and make them publicly available, much as I've done for Twisted,
but I probably wouldn't do a great job.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org