[Distutils] bdist_wininst and Vista User Account Control (UAC)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jul 10 20:29:39 CEST 2007

At 07:43 PM 7/10/2007 +0200, Thomas Heller wrote:
>Well, bdist_wininst had a sucessful live, I see no problems if it is
>replaced with something else - be it eggs or bdist_msi.

Perhaps someone could make an egg-to-msi translator, so that
non-Windows users could still build and distribute eggs, but Windows
users could still install them with built-in uninstallability.

Eggs certainly don't have a complex internal format -- indeed, they
don't offer as much installation flexibility as bdist_wininst
does.  easy_install can convert most (but not all) bdist_wininst
.exe's to eggs, so a similar conversion from eggs to MSI should be possible.