[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] Why so many zc.buildout versions?

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Tue Jul 10 23:49:43 CEST 2007

On Jul 10, 2007, at 5:36 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> For example, the current effort to bake static pages could bake these
>> pages instead.
> Certainly not instead; in addition, if there are volunteers to
> implement
> that.

>> We could make the new index available at a different
>> URL for people to play with while we worked the kinks out of the
>> process.
> I have been thinking about the same thing. I think it would be good
> to have, however, it will surely take some time until all setuptools
> implementations learn to use it.

No, not at all.  You can tell setuptools to use a different index
than the current one.  For example, this is a command-line option for
easy_install and a configuration option for buildout.

>> Of course, those of us who use the cheesehop and setuptools
>> extensively can also achieve much of this by changing the way we
>> work.
> Hmm. How about those using them extensively start contributing to
> them also?

I like to think that I am by participating in this discussion.
Actually changing the cheeseshop software has a very high learning
curve. I don't think that I can make that kind of time any time
soon.  I'm very grateful that you and René are doing what you're
doing.  I also suspect that, given your and René's activity, it would
be counter productive for someone else to get involved at that level,
but maybe I'm wrong about that.

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org