[Distutils] unattended install

vadim suvorov staellar at gmail.com
Tue Jul 17 20:31:58 CEST 2007

I have a customer who has many (Windows) computers on which Python and
related packages must be installed/updated on regular bases.

One of their concerns is wininst based packages, which do not allow
unattended installation. Newer and greater MSI helps, but there are legacy
packages.

Can you give me opinion:

1) Why pywin32 (Mark Hammond) is continued to be distributed in wininst
form?

2) If one prepares MSI package, are there foreseeable snags to distribute it
in 2.4 environment?

3) I offered to consider development of wininst to msi (ready package)
converter. Is it stupid suggestion, or is it feasable (and easier than
silencing of wininst)? Would there be interest for such converter (my
customer is willing to contribute to Python project)?

Thank you!