[Distutils] distutils.util.get_platform() for Windows

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 18 19:31:21 CEST 2007

At 04:00 PM 7/18/2007 +1000, Mark Hammond wrote:
>This will result in both the final version of most bdist_* installations
>having the architecture in the filename.  It also has the nice side effect
>of having the temp directories used by these commands include the
>architecture in their names, meaning its possible to build multiple Windows
>architectures from the same build tree, although that is not the primary
>motivation.

I presume the intention of this is to have it end up as either
'win32' or 'win64', yes?

>Also note that bdist_msi has 'win32' hard-coded in one place,
>where a call to get_platform() would be more appropriate, but I'm assuming
>that is a bug (ie, bdist_msi should use get_platform() regardless of the
>outcome of this discussion about what get_platform() should return)

Well, if it becomes possible to build msi's on other platforms,
they're still going to target Windows.  Currently you can build a
bdist_wininst on Linux, for example, especially if it's only pure
Python contents.