[Distutils] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Fri Jul 20 15:42:37 CEST 2007

On Jul 20, 2007, at 7:52 AM, Christian Theune wrote:

> Am Freitag, den 20.07.2007, 07:48 -0400 schrieb Jim Fulton:
>> On Jul 20, 2007, at 6:02 AM, Christian Theune wrote:
>>> I'd be happy to support mirroring once all this is sorted out/ I can
>>> offer a server in Germany/Europe.
>>
>> If we decide that mirrors would be a good idea, it will be important,
>> imo, to select mirror sites bases on their connectivity.  The goal of
>> the mirrors should be to try to give people options with short
>> network distances.
>
> Right, however, do you have any specific parameters that can be
> measured
> in mind?

I'm not enough of a network expert.  Hopefully, someone more
knowledgeable will make a suggestion.  BTW, with the current PyPI
performance, I'm guessing we could have 10s of mirrors poll once a
minute without affecting other users.

> (Our server is reasonably well connected, reachable with about 5 hops
> from within Germany with latency around 40ms on a DSL line. Multiple
> GBit lines to the hosting center.)

I didn't mean to suggest that you weren't well connected.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org