[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Sat Jul 21 19:12:48 CEST 2007

On Jul 21, 2007, at 1:00 PM, Martin v. Löwis wrote:

>> I've created and experimental prototype setuptools-specific package
>> index at
>>
>>    http://download.zope.org/ppix
>
> I've now added something similar as
>
> http://cheeseshop.python.org/simple/

Way cool!

> It differs from your site in a few ways:
>
> - it does include a top-level index of all packages (but neither
>   releases nor descriptions)

Why?  This is a relatively expensive page, due to it's size I assume,
that really provides no value.  This will slow down setuptools.

> - it's always current, due to being dynamically computed

And also unreliable, for the same reason. For example, it would have
been inaccessible yesterday afternoon. And also puts more load on the
server.  It would be much better imo if static pages could be written
on writes.

> - it may differ in the precise list of URLs displayed;
>   if there are important deviations, please let me know.

The download and homepage URL anchors need rel="download" or
rel="homepage".

They lack the #egg= links.

Compare your page for setuptools to mine.

Also, some packages use their pypi pages as their home page links.
You want to exclude these, otherwise, setuptools will circle around
to the human interface, which defeats point of the simple interface.

Thanks for plugging away on this.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org