[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

"Martin v. Löwis" martin at v.loewis.de
Sun Jul 22 18:54:36 CEST 2007

> I would prefer the second, particularly as I think the caching solution
> lends itself to mirroring, which would also improve availability.

I think this conclusion is wrong: Jim already has a mirror
infrastructure that anybody can run, without the need of running that
on the central server.

> - From my complete ignorance of the underlying architecture:  the polling
> solution would stay pretty current if there were an extremely cheap way
> to ask for the latest "transaction ID" on the cheeseshop, or if the
> query could fetch only registrations newer than the last poll time.  Are
> such queries possible over the XML-RPC interface?

Yes; you can ask for all changes since a certain UTC time. People
shouldn't invoke that every UTC second, though - once a minute is
fine.

Regards,
Martin