[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Jim Fulton jim at zope.com
Mon Jul 23 13:08:50 CEST 2007

On Jul 22, 2007, at 12:51 PM, Phillip J. Eby wrote:

> At 09:09 AM 7/22/2007 -0400, Jim Fulton wrote:
>> People should *not* misspell pages
>> when using setuptools.  They should certainly not use misspelled
>> package names in requirements.
>
> People do all sorts of things they shouldn't.  That doesn't stop
> them blaming other people for their mistakes.
>
> It's said that a 10% improvement in ease-of-use can double a
> product's users.  Case sensitivity is a barrier to entry for new
> users, and setuptools can't afford any additional entry barriers.

I totally don't buy this in a case like this.  People installing
packages with setuptools are technical users.  We expect them to
write Python scripts.

> A significant part of setuptools' audience includes people who are
> new to Python, or at least new to installing or distributing Python
> modules, and quite a lot of setuptools features are aimed squarely
> at that audience.  This happens to be one of them.

I don't think that encouraging use of case insensitive names by
people who are about start learning a language that uses case
sensitive names is doing them any favors.

>>   In my strongly help opinion, allowing
>> imprecise names in requirements and setuptools command if of negative
>> value.
>
> I understand that perspective.  But practicality beats purity, and
> this is absolutely a "worse is better" type of situation.

Obviously we disagree.

> Setuptools has lots of features that are targeted at different
> audiences.  There are plenty of features targeted at the group
> you're in, don't begrudge the other groups their features.  :)

I don't think you are helping them.

Jim

CTO 				(540) 361-1714			http://www.python.org