[Distutils] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Noah Gift noah.gift at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 18:37:47 CEST 2007

> But by definition, the people typing the names of the dependencies into
> a 'setup.py' for such a plugin *are* Python programmers, and could be
> expected to know about case sensitivity.
>
> I don't think Jim was areguing that human-centric *search* should punish
> misspellings, but rather that encouraging such sloppiness in other
> packages is a misfeature, especially if supporting it induces a tax on
> *all* users of automated dependency resolution.

In my humble opinion, I for one completely agree with Phillip.  I have had
to sit down with quite a few new Python Programmers and show them how to use
easy_install and I "thank God" easy_install is smart enough to figure out
case sensitivity.  This is a wonderful feature!!!!  Please don't ever get
rid of it :)
Not being able to install a package as they couldn't figure out the exact
name of the package could be the final straw for some new programmer to
Python!

Noah Gift