[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Benji York benji at benjiyork.com
Mon Jul 23 21:41:05 CEST 2007

Jim Fulton wrote:
> On Jul 23, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Benji York wrote:
>
>> Martin v. Löwis wrote:
>>> And where somewhat slower could be "practically not noticable".
>> Perhaps it /could/ be, but isn't currently.  For example, updating
>> one piece of software I have with almost 150 dependencies takes 45
>> seconds with ppix, 4:45 without.  I plan to do similar timings with
>> the "simple" PyPI interface when I get a chance and report the
>> results here.
>
> I suspect that this has more to do with network distance than with
> server speed.

That's actually my point.  Geographically distributed mirrors that are a
little out of sync are much more valuable (IMO) than a centralized
service that is absolutely up to date, but "far" away.  For me the
static/dynamic argument is more about stability, and central/distributed
is more about (network) speed.
--
Benji York
http://benjiyork.com