[Distutils] distutils.util.get_platform() for Windows

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Tue Jul 24 00:12:04 CEST 2007

Dave writes:

> I could be mistaken, but I believe the standard abbreviations
> for these
> architectures are 'x86_64' (intel/amd chipset) and 'ia64'
> (itanium) --
> see the first two paragraphs of the wikipedia article on
> Itanium for an
> example:
>     http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itanium
>
> So how about something like:
>     win-x86_64
>     win-ia64

Good point - but I'm not that keen on 'x86_64' - it seems a little too long,
especially as we will not be using 'x86_32', and the extra characters don't
seem like they will help resolve confusion (ie, if someone doesn't know what
architecture they are using, the extra '86' isn't going to help).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64 notes that 'x64' is a common name, so
how does 'win-x64' and 'win-ia64' sound as a compromise?  I'm happy to let
any other informal "votes" make a final decision though...

Cheers,

Mark