[Distutils] Problem with bdist_wininst option (trying to distribute a COM server, on Windows XP)

Vinke, Johan JVinke at nassco.com
Tue Jul 24 01:42:24 CEST 2007

Preface:  If this ends up being a real "Newbie" question, my
apologies to all.  But I have read "Distributing Python Modules"
by Greg Ward, May 19, 2004, particularly Chapter 6 - Creating
Built Distributions - and 6.3 - Creating Windows Installer.  And
I still can't see what I'm doing wrong.

I'm having trouble using distutils with the bdist_wininst option.
I've been able to create a COM server and package it in a .DLL,
but I can't create an "installer" as a .exe  My goal is to create
a .exe that can be run on a client machine that does NOT have the
standard Python environment, and this .exe would install all the
modules?/.dll's/.exe's that are necessary for the COM server to
run on the client machine.

When I activate the "Run" command from within the PythonWin
window and select the program setup_NaComponent_exe.py (attached),
it nicely creates build and dist sub-directories.  In the dist
directory, there is a .exe and a .dll file:

    NaComponent.dll
    NaComponent.exe

The interactive window has lots of informational messages
such as:

*** copy extensions ***
.
.
*** copy dlls ***
.
.
*** binary dependencies ***
.
.

But the .exe and .dll created from the above (without the
bdist_wininst argument) cannot be simply installed on a
client machine and act as a COM server.  (I tried registering
the .dll with this command:

regsvr32 /s
\\Eng\prod\Group\TIS\Dev\Mfg\M3_New_PipeShop_COM\Current\Application\dis
t\NaComponent.dll

but that did not work.

Next, I ran  setup_NaComponent_exe.py, but I added the argument:

    bdist_wininst

The messages returned in the interactive window were:

>>> running bdist_wininst
running build
installing to build\bdist.win32\wininst

There was an error:

    ....\setup_NaComponent_exe.py' returned exit code error:
build\bdist.win32\wininst: No such fi

So I created the directory build\bdist.win32\wininst, reran
the setup program, and got this:

>>> running bdist_wininst
running build
installing to build\bdist.win32\wininst
creating 'c:\docume~1\n50519\locals~1\temp\tmpaqvrsy.zip' and adding '.'
to it
removing 'build\bdist.win32\wininst' (and everything under it)

But there was no zip file tmpaqvrsy.zip in the above-mentioned
directory, and the wininst directory was removed (as described
above).

Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Johan Vinke
Nassco
San Diego, CA

Version info: Python Version:  2.3.3
           PythonWin Version:  win32all build 163
1st info line in   PythonWin:  PythonWin 2.3.3 (#51, Dec 18 2003,
20:22:39) [MSC v.1200 32 bit (Intel)] on win32.