[Distutils] [Catalog-sig] Prototype setuptools-specific PyPI index.

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Wed Jul 25 00:13:48 CEST 2007

At 04:37 PM 7/24/2007 -0400, Noah Gift wrote:
>The basic algorithm is that a local index of PyPi could be kept in one
>file.  If an incorrect search was made, the first action to occur
>would be to check if the local file was the same as the file on the
>server.  If not, it would sync the changes with svn.  Then
>easy_install would try to do lookups against the local file to find a
>match.

Note that there are a lot of ways you can implement something like
this without even involving me on the client or Martin on the
server.  For example, setuptools.package_index uses urllib2 for all
its URL access, so installing an "opener" that does caching before
invoking easy_install is possible.  You can also subclass the
easy_install command class and the PackageIndex class, or tell the
easy_install command class to use a different PackageIndex implementation.

In the long run, I'd like to add some entry points to allow people to
extend the search mechanism in such ways, but for now you can
certainly hack subclasses easily enough and make your own alternative
commands, as Jim has done for integrating zc.buildout with setuptools.