[Distutils] Questions regarding the compilation of a non-extension shared library

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 20:49:30 CEST 2007

James Dominy wrote:
> Hi,
> I'm have a shared library that I would like to distribute along with my python package, written in pure C. It requires the
> correct installation of other software at linktime, and at runtime. The package a ctypes wrapper for SUNDIALS (a mathematical C
> library).

You might want to take a look at OOF2. If includes a distutils command for
building a shared library. I believe it tries to install the library to
$prefix/lib which may not be what you want, but it might help you to find the
right incantation to at least build the thing.

Will your code be open source? We have many requests for SUNDIALS wrappers on
the scipy list, and it would be great to satisfy them.

Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco