[Distutils] Questions regarding the compilation of a non-extension shared library

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 20:49:30 CEST 2007

James Dominy wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm have a shared library that I would like to distribute along with my python package, written in pure C. It requires the
> correct installation of other software at linktime, and at runtime. The package a ctypes wrapper for SUNDIALS (a mathematical C
> library).

You might want to take a look at OOF2. If includes a distutils command for
building a shared library. I believe it tries to install the library to
$prefix/lib which may not be what you want, but it might help you to find the
right incantation to at least build the thing.

  http://www.ctcms.nist.gov/oof/oof2/index.html

Will your code be open source? We have many requests for SUNDIALS wrappers on
the scipy list, and it would be great to satisfy them.

--
Robert Kern

 an underlying truth."
  -- Umberto Eco