[Distutils] Regeneration of source manifest

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Jul 26 00:19:53 CEST 2007

At 10:51 PM 7/25/2007 +0200, Arve Knudsen wrote:
>I take it there is no interest in fixing this problem? Or is it
>simply too much hassle??
>
>Arve
>
>On 7/10/07, Arve Knudsen <<mailto:arve.knudsen at gmail.com>
>arve.knudsen at gmail.com> wrote:
>Hello
>
>As far as I can tell setuptools does not always regenerate the
>source manifest when MANIFEST.in changes, contrary to what the
>documentation says. That is, if I add a directive to exclude files
>with the .txt extension to MANIFEST.in (after having previously
>including them), and run the sdist command, such files are still
>included.  I have to remove the .egg-info for things to work as
>expected. This must clearly be a bug?
>
>Regards,
>Arve Knudsen

Your email got lost in the flurry of PyPI-related emails.  I am
looking at the code and don't see how this condition could be
produced, at least not the way you seem to be describing it, because
the template is processed after the old filelist is read in.  So if
there are exclusion commands in the template, these should *always*
be applied to the resulting SOURCES.txt.

Could you give me the exact old MANIFEST.in contents, the new
MANIFEST.in contents, and the egg-info/SOURCES.txt?

Better yet, can you give me a small setup.py and steps that I can use
to reproduce the problem?