[Distutils] distutils.util.get_platform() for Windows

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Fri Jul 27 08:18:15 CEST 2007

> > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/X86-64 notes that 'x64' is a common
> > name, so
> > how does 'win-x64' and 'win-ia64' sound as a compromise?
> I'm happy
> > to let
> > any other informal "votes" make a final decision though...
>
> As one who is forever switching back and forth among operating
> systems (Windows, sometimes with cygwin, Linux, Mac OS X,
> Solaris), I
> would be happy to see the standard names that I'm used to, i.e. the
> output of config.guess [1], which I think is "x86_64" for the
> architecture and "win32" for the operating system.

I agree in principle - if config.guess has standardized, we should adopt it.

> Actually config.guess doesn't run on Windows unless with cygwin or
> mingw, in which case it outputs "cygwin" or "mingw" for the
> operating
> system.  But it definitely outputs "x86_64" on other operating
> systems on x86-64 architectures.

My Vista x64 box has a (32bit - can't locate a 64bit) cygwin installed.
This is what I get:

sh-3.2$ /usr/share/automake-1.10/config.guess
i686-pc-cygwin
sh-3.2$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.0-WOW64 vista-64 1.5.24(0.156/4/2) 2007-01-31 10:57 i686 Cygwin

My XP x86 box gives the exact same result for config.guess (i686), so I'm a
little confused by this.  Does anyone know what I am missing?  But either
way, I have to concede that my preference for x86 is somewhat arbitrary, so
x86_64 appears to win the vote (although polls remain open until checkin
time <wink>)

I've created a patch at http://python.org/sf/1761786 with x86_64 - I'd
welcome any feedback etc.  Note the patch also changes bdist_msi to use
get_platform() for the final .msi created.

Cheers,

Mark