[Distutils] real vs effective user id

Jerome Alet alet at librelogiciel.com
Mon Jun 11 19:12:15 CEST 2007

Hi there,

I've got an application which runs as root

This application calls seteuid to execute part of its code as a lower
priviledged user temporarily.

after the seteuid call, the MySQLdb module is imported, which was installed
with setuptools 0.6c6.

then setuptools tries to play with root's .python-eggs directory instead
of ~effective_user/.python-eggs/, because of the way os.path.expanduser()
works (line 1039 in pkg_resource.py)

is this a bug in setuptools, in Python, or more probably in my own
application ?

shouldn't Python's os.path.expanduser() call use the effective user id
instead of the real one ?

thanks in advance for any hint.

bye

Jerome Alet