[Distutils] Using setuptools entry points at Google (and other places...)

Ben Bangert ben at groovie.org
Tue Jun 26 02:45:44 CEST 2007

Disclaimer: I don't work at Google, just talk to people who do.

I know some people at Google that would like to use Pylons there,
unfortunately this isn't quite possible as several parts of Pylons
require setuptools entry points. While setuptools can be installed,
due to Google's packaging system the run-time setuptools environment
has no entry points present, thus it falls down. I'm not sure how
many other companies might also have their own packaging systems that
also incur this problem, but I'm wondering if this can be remedied
somehow.

Is there a script that could be run manually before applications
start that require entry points? Or some way setuptools itself can
have some intelligence in it so that it can detect when its not in
charge of the layout and read a manually configured file for entry
point information instead?

Thanks,
Ben