[Distutils] Using setuptools entry points at Google (and other places...)

Phillip J. Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Tue Jun 26 03:27:55 CEST 2007

At 05:45 PM 6/25/2007 -0700, Ben Bangert wrote:
>Disclaimer: I don't work at Google, just talk to people who do.
>
>I know some people at Google that would like to use Pylons there,
>unfortunately this isn't quite possible as several parts of Pylons
>require setuptools entry points. While setuptools can be installed,
>due to Google's packaging system the run-time setuptools environment
>has no entry points present, thus it falls down. I'm not sure how
>many other companies might also have their own packaging systems that
>also incur this problem, but I'm wondering if this can be remedied
>somehow.

Just make sure that packages' .egg-info directory is installed
alongside the code; setuptools will do the rest.  See also:

http://peak.telecommunity.com/DevCenter/EggFormats#eggs-and-their-formats

"""The .egg-info format, on the other hand, was created to support
backward-compatibility, performance, and ease of installation for
system packaging tools that expect to install all projects' code and
resources to a single directory (e.g. site-packages). Placing the
metadata in that same directory simplifies the installation process,
since it isn't necessary to create .pth files or otherwise modify
sys.path to include each installed egg."""