[Distutils] __init__.py getting left out of mpkg

Christopher Fonnesbeck fonnesbeck.mailing.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 14:34:34 CET 2007

I have been using bdist_mpkg to build Mac distributions of Numpy, Matplotlib
and other scientific programming packages. However, when I use bdist_mpkg to
build  matplotlib, the resulting package is broken. In particular, I get:

In [3]: import pylab
exceptions.ImportError                               Traceback (most recent
call last)

/Users/chris/<ipython console>

/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.4/lib/python2.4/site-packages/pylab.py

----> 1 from matplotlib.pylab import *

ImportError: No module named matplotlib.pylab

Sure enough, when I look into the problem, it seems that the __init__.py
file is being left out by distutils. If I install directly using setup.py,
this does not occur.

Any ideas?