[Distutils] Python module to: Talk to stdout/stdin for 64-bit Windows/Linux C++ application?

Mowry, Peter peter.mowry at amd.com
Sun May 13 02:09:55 CEST 2007

Hi,

Background / Goal:

My team's application does regressions by controlling our 64-bit
Windows/Linux C++ application (SimNow, www.amd.com/simnow) via
stdout/stdin with ("pexpect" for unix) and (python COM objects) for
Windows (b/c popen doesn't work).  However, I am trying to replace this
with a unified windows/linux solution.  The idea is to extend Python
with a SimNow-control module.  My sole goal in extending a python module
is so our python regressions scripts can use python to control SimNow
via SimNow's stdin/stdout interface.

Sample Final results:

import simnow

simnow.start() # start simnow executable

output1 = simnow.sendCommand("load platform x") # blocking call, sends
simnow cmd, returns the output string

Disutils:

Does extending python with Disutils sound like the simple and clean way
for my goal?  Is there a simple cookbook solution for my goal?

(Btw, someone on my team already embedded python into SimNow.  But I
think we actually want to extend python, so to control SimNow from our
python regressions code/infrastructure.)

--Thanks, any response is appreciated!

Peter Mowry ("Pem")
SimNow Team, Software Engineer
AMD Organization