[Distutils] Python module to: Talk to stdout/stdin for 64-bit Windows/Linux C++ application?

Mowry, Peter peter.mowry at amd.com
Mon May 14 04:12:15 CEST 2007

David,

The subprocess module doesn't work for interactive programs (I think)
(see appended pexpect faq).

So instead, I was trying to get something like the following working:

import simnow # import complex simnow C++ application

simnow.start() # spawn simnow's main method

output1 = simnow.sendCommand("load platform x") # blocking call to a
single simnow C++ functions

# This is our real current goal, but if I get this working, we might
consider exposing other simnow functionality to the simnow python
module.

disutils is listed in the extend/embed python doc
(http://www.python.org/doc/ext/ext.html).  This doc seems to be saying
that disutils is a cross-plaform way to build a python module ("extend
python").

Chapter 3 - disultils cross-platform build.  Chapter 4 - do it yourself
windows build.  Chapter 5 - do it yourself unix build.  Chapter 4 says,
"Module authors are encouraged to use the distutils approach for
building extension modules, instead of the one described in this
section."

--Thanks

subprocess - "appended comments"

# This doesn't work

self.simnow = Popen(executable=(os.getcwd() + '/simnow'),
args=simnowCmd, stdin=PIPE, stdout=PIPE, stderr=PIPE)

self.simnow.stdin.write("open stuff")

print self.simnow.stdout.read()

Why doesn't it work?  The following is from the pexect FAQ

Q: Why not just use a pipe (popen())?

A: A pipe works fine for getting the output to non-interactive programs.
If you just want to get the output from ls, uname, or ping then this
works. Pipes do not work very well for interactive programs and pipes
will almost certainly fail for most applications that ask for passwords
such as telnet, ftp, or ssh.

There are two reasons for this.

First an application may bypass stdout and print directly to its
controlling TTY. Something like SSH will do this when it asks you for a
password. This is why you cannot redirect the password prompt because it
does not go through stdout or stderr.

The second reason is because most applications are built using the C
Standard IO Library (anything that uses #include <stdio.h>). One of the
features of the stdio library is that it buffers all input and output.
Normally output is line buffered when a program is printing to a TTY
(your terminal screen). Everytime the program prints a line-feed the
currently buffered data will get printed to your screen. The problem
comes when you connect a pipe. The stdio library is smart and can tell
that it is printing to a pipe instead of a TTY. In that case it switches
from line buffer mode to block buffered. In this mode the currently
buffered data is flushed when the buffer is full. This causes most
interactive programs to deadlock. Block buffering is more efficient when
writing to disks and pipes. Take the situation where a program prints a
message "Enter your user name:\n" and then waits for you type type
something. In block buffered mode, the stdio library will not put the
message into the pipe even though a linefeed is printed. The result is
that you never receive the message, yet the child application will sit
and wait for you to type a response. Don't confuse the stdio lib's
buffer with the pipe's buffer. The pipe buffer is another area that can
cause problems. You could flush the input side of a pipe, whereas you
have no control over the stdio library buffer.

http://pexpect.sourceforge.net/#faq
<http://pexpect.sourceforge.net/%23faq>

What's wrong with pexpect?  It doesn't work on Windows.  Python COM is
an alternative, but we are trying to find a clean unified cross-platform
solution.

Peter Mowry ("Pem")

SimNow Team, Software Engineer

AMD Organization